5 boneless Tilapia Fillets, 4 to 6 ounces each
1 stick melted butter
Blackened Seasoning (ingredients below):
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Swanson Organic Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Swanson Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Swanson Organic Ground Thyme Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Swanson Organic Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Swanson Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Swanson Organic Basil Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Swanson Organic Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Swanson Organic Peppercorns (we have a great combo!)
- Heat your cast iron skillet over high heat for about 10 minutes until very hot. When ready, the bottom of skillet will be ashy white.
- Rinse tilapia fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Dip fillets one at a time in the melted butter ensuring both sides of fish are covered with butter. Remove from butter, and without sitting fish down (tricky, but can be done) sprinkle fish on both sides generously with seasoning, patting by hand. Repeat for the second piece of tilapia.
- Place two pieces of tilapia into a cast iron skillet and cook for 4 to 6 minutes turning over once, halfway through cooking.
Special Notes: Be sure your stove ventilation fan is working and in proper order, since blackening tends to create plenty of smoke.